Arctic defenders still in police custody

Written By FULL NEO on Friday, September 3, 2010 | 6:32 PM

Blogpost by LisaV - September 3, 2010 at 20:42 PM Add comment

We are still waiting for our climbers to be released but hoping they will be back on board the Esperanza soon. They are sorely missed - especially Timo's lovely guitar playing in the evenings. Anais is talking about preparing a "Welcome Back!" banner for them and every time the captain or our campaign leader walks past we keep asking "any news?". The answer is still no. Nobody knows exactly when they will be out and perhaps they wont be allowed back to the ship at all.

Sim, Timo, Jens and Matt are truly heroes! I don't think I have ever witnessed such an amazing direct action in all my time with Greenpeace. Timo, Matt, Jens and Sim scaled the oil rig by climbing a structure that looked unclimable to me. When I look at the footage of their ascent - my jaw drops open in amazement. They spent over 40 hours up there - suspended above the churning Arctic waves through freezing winds and periods of loud noise from the thrusters that keep the rig in position. They kept themselves in good spirits throughout the occupation and never complained about the conditions they were in. We're so very proud of them for stopping Cairn's Arctic drilling for so long. They really stopped it for 40 hours - and that's quite an achievement.

While our climbers were on the rig and since they have been arrested - we have received some very touching messages of support from so many people. I've been gathering them today so that I can show the climbers when they're back on board. I thought it would also be nice to share them here (see below) and say thanks to everyone who sent us these messages - and the others I haven't managed to copy yet. It means a lot to us to receive them and I have already printed off several pages of them and passed them around over dinner in the mess. I even saw our chief engineer reading them and watched his face light up with big smiles. And he rarely smiles so this is quite an achievement!

Thank you so much. I'll let you know more news on our heroic Arctic defenders when I have it.

-- Lisa

Timo and Matt on the Esperanza before the action. We want them back along with Sim and Jens! (Images © Greenpeace/ Will Rose)

Related Links